Friday, February 13, 2015

All Hail the Kale Smoothie!

I probably haven’t mentioned yet that I LOVE kale.  Yes, that kale that looks like weird, wilty leaves from the backyard after a hard rain. 

It gets a bad rap.  Back when I started my whole fitness kick, whenever I mentioned the word “kale”, I was met with scrunched eyebrows and “eww, that stuff is Dis-gus-ting."  With a capital D.



















I decided to do my own research on the subject, and lo and behold, kale is actually considered one of the best vegetables a person can eat.  Maybe that’s why it’s so despised – it’s good for you, which we all know is the kiss of death for a food.

Source: trendnutrition.com




















I started out easy with it, tossing a few little sprigs into a blender with as much fruit, yogurt, and milk as possible to drown out the plucked-straight-from-a-garden taste that I was expecting.  After testing a few smoothies that way, I eased up on the yogurt and added in more kale (filling up nearly my entire blender)…absolutely delicious!  Since then, I can’t imagine making a smoothie without kale in it.   I consider kale to be the base for every smoothie now – everything else is nutritious filler.  Bitter taste, bah!

This morning, I made a yummy kale smoothie in less than 5 minutes.  Super fast and super easy!

Handful of kale, a couple splashes of almond milk, a tablespoon of 100% natural peanut butter, and 1/2 cup of blueberries –that’s it!

























My favorite smoothie add-in is frozen mango.  What do you like in your smoothies?




No comments:

Post a Comment